Hanging on for the ultimate ride--God's great adventure.www.melaniedobson.com
- Name: Melanie Dobson
- Location: Oregon
The author of fourteen contemporary and historical novels, Melanie Dobson lives with her family in the beautiful Pacific Northwest. Her latest novels are Shadows of Ladenbrooke Manor and Chateau of Secrets. More info at www.melaniedobson.com
Tuesday, February 12, 2008
Tuesday, February 05, 2008
Seduction and Destruction of Gambling
When I did the research for my novel, Going for Broke, I was stunned at the deception and destruction of gambling. Many people really think it is a viable option for earning money yet millions of lives are being destroyed by this "harmless entertainment." When a man or woman gets trapped in this addiction, they will sacrifice their house, car, job, and their kid's lunch money to try and recover some of the money they've lost...or just to feel the rush from another win.
Here are a few statistics about gambling and gambling addiction:
- Almost eight million American adults and another eight million American adolescents are considered to be problem or pathological gamblers. (Harvard Medical School)
- Women succumb to gambling addiction nearly three times faster than men.
- Approximately one in five compulsive gamblers attempt suicide.
- In 2006, 50 percent of evangelical Protestants and 73 percent of mainline Protestants said they gambled in some form during the past year. (Pew Research)
- In 2005, the gross revenues from all forms of gambling totaled nearly $85 billion — more money than Americans spend on movie tickets, theme parks, spectator sports and videogames combined. (CitizenLink)