Dobsons 411

Hanging on for the ultimate ride--God's great adventure.

www.melaniedobson.com
My Photo
Name:
Location: Oregon

The author of fourteen contemporary and historical novels, Melanie Dobson lives with her family in the beautiful Pacific Northwest. Her latest novels are Shadows of Ladenbrooke Manor and Chateau of Secrets. More info at www.melaniedobson.com

Monday, July 23, 2007

Authentic Parenting in a Postmodern Culture

Mary DeMuth’s latest book, Authentic Parenting in a Postmodern Culture, is an honest look at raising children in a world where truth is relevant and black and white morality has blurred gray. She looks at how to live out truth today and demonstrates how to use the strengths of postmodern thinking to prepare our kids to live out their faith outside of home.

Communication is one of the best places to understand and help guard our children's hearts, and below is a great excerpt from Mary's book (supplied by Harvest House Publishers) about conversational parenting that is both spontaneous and purposeful.

“The word purposeful has many synonyms: resolved, determined, deliberate, intentional, committed, decided, resolute, fixed, persistent, tenacious. Antonyms include unintentional and purposeless. Look back over the ten synonyms and ask yourself the following questions.
  • Resolved. How have I resolved to connect with my children this year? Have I changed the way I approach my children since last year? Why or why not?
  • Determined. How have I been determined to really know my children’s hearts in the last two weeks?
  • Deliberate. What deliberate steps have I taken to reveal my heart to my children?
  • Intentional. How have I been intentional with each of my children? How have I tailored my words to each child this week?
  • Committed. Have I committed myself to knowing my children? How?
  • Decided. What have I decided about each child that prevents me from connecting with him or her? What barriers have I erected? What obstacles have my children put between us?
  • Resolute. How have I resolved this year to pursue the soul of each child? What prevents me from doing that?
  • Fixed. Have I become so busy that I have not fixed my schedule to meet the needs of my children? Am I interruptible? Is my schedule too fixed? Do I fully fix my attention on my children when they are in the room?
  • Persistent. When my children don’t engage with me, am I persistent? Do I relate more to the woman or the judge in this story: In a certain city there was a judge who did not fear God and did not respect man. There was a widow in that city, and she kept coming to him, saying, 'Give me legal protection from my opponent.” For a while he was unwilling; but afterward he said to himself, “Even though I do not fear God nor respect man, yet because this widow bothers me, I will give her legal protection, otherwise by continually coming she will wear me out' (Luke 18:2-5 NASB).This is an amazing parable for parents. May we be persistent, pestering our children with our knocking at the door of their hearts. But so often we are like the reluctant judge, bothered by the interruptions of our children.
  • Tenacious. Are you a tenacious receiver and sender in the communication game? If a child blows you off, do you gather yourself and try again? How easily do you quit?
Purposeful communication happens when we dare to be tenacious parents who passionately pursue the soul of each child. The old adage applies to our communication with our children: They won’t care how much we know until they know how much we care. Within the context of a loving, safe home where parents pursue their children in a variety of ways, communication flourishes.”

For more information or to order Authentic Parenting in a Postmodern Culture, visit Mary's blog.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mary DeMuth said...

Thanks for being a lovely stop on the tour, Melanie!

5:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home